Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Hostel

Hostel - A place that belongs to everybody but is owned by none.


I am a proud Hosteller, have spent almost half my student life studying a hostel, may be thats what makes me want to write about it.

Hostel for me is like home now..when I came from my short trips at home I feel a sense of relief when I sit on my hostel bed..its like I belong here. The best part about hostel is the independence..no restrictions on when to wake up and what to eat. Apart of general rules you are the master of your own time in hostel.. You make your decisions and if you fail its you who has to take the responsibility and face the consequences, nor your parents, siblings, nobody is there..it makes us the face the harsh realities of life at very early stage. Hostel made me tougher from and the inside and the outside. It has taught me that you don't need to be in love to enjoy the rain, that when your tuck gets over the leftovers mixture even taste better...


Though boarding school had a proper tight schedule, from the morning bell to lights off..yet it didn't feel so monotonous ..I still remember how we used wait for phone call days (twice a month) to talk to our parents, and saturdays to watch movie in auditorium. Hostel life also makes you meet a wide variety of people who come from diverse backgrounds..each one of them has story to tell..about their experiences, their culture, their hometown..Durga pooja and Pongal were only names to me until I went to hostel, the durga pooja pandals are soo pretty and the pongal rice taste really nice. I would have never known all this if it was not for my hostels.


College hostels are a little different than school hostels..I learnt to travel in public transport by public transport I mean tempos and mini local private buses.. I became more responsible even financially I learned how to spend a month in a specific amount (very important for a shopaholic like me :P) .. I would have never learnt all of this that if I were at home. In hindi "juggad" would be most appropriate word to describe the management skills learnt in hostel..yes juggad, you learn to make the best from the small little things available like managing to make maggi with geyser water etc, besides that I am also learning to deal with all kinds of people and situations. 


Hostel gives you an insight into the real world..its like the beta version of life and to deal with that I have the most amazing friends. In hostel your friends are your family - a big family indeed :P

Friends that tease you, embrace you, embarrass you, fight for you, fight with you, understand you; friends with whom you have long base less conversations (specially the night before exam), they have solutions to everything from headache to heartache.

I think its once in a lifetime experience to live in a hostel and if you are living it DON'T spend your time wisely cause the unplanned memories are the best ; )





3 comments:

  1. Very true and beautifully written Naitry... Literally dil chhu liya yaar Naitry. Glad to have you as my dear friend to share my hostel life... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well dats wat i felt...but seriously naitry after reading dis i jzz recalled my whole hostel lyf...i neva realised dat yhh v njoy so much in lyf...???

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank yu vineet and Prakhar !! :)

    ReplyDelete